Podcasts sur l'histoire

Extérieur de l'église de Saint Pogos et Petros au monastère de Tatev

Extérieur de l'église de Saint Pogos et Petros au monastère de Tatev



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Carte de Tatev

Tatev est un monastère situé au bord de la gorge de Vorotan près du village de Tatev dans la région de Goris dans le sud-est de l'Arménie. Vorotan est la plus grande gorge d'Arménie avec une profondeur de 850 mètres.

Le monastère de Tatev a été fondé au IXe siècle. Tatev a été construit dans une position stratégiquement avantageuse. Deux côtés du complexe sont délimités par de hauts murs défensifs surélevés et les deux autres côtés sont protégés par les vallées escarpées.

Histoire de Tatev
Le complexe du monastère de Tatev était autrefois la capitale politique de la principauté de Syunik. Au 10ème siècle, elle avait une population de 1000 personnes. Le monastère de Tatevi Anapat a été fondé au 17ème siècle. Il est situé au fond de la vallée. Une quantité considérable de destruction a été causée en raison du tremblement de terre de 1931.

Monuments de Tatev
L'église de Pogos et Petros établie en 895-906 est le monument principal de Tatev. Il contient une basilique à coupole typique du VIIe siècle. La finesse architecturale unique et les détails fascinants de l'extérieur de l'église attirent l'attention de tous les touristes. Les murs intérieurs étaient décorés de fresques, qui avec le temps ont été endommagées. L'église Grigory située à côté de l'église principale a été construite en 1295.

Le monument de Gavazan est un exemple unique de la fascinante excellence architecturale du pays.

Une école établie au 10ème siècle a été fondée à Tatev. Ici, les élèves ont appris les sciences humanitaires et des manuscrits illustrés.


Le retour à la maison

Une dernière volée de marches en pierre me narguait, le seul obstacle entre moi et les ruines de Kobayr, un complexe d'églises du 12ème siècle. À quoi pensaient mes ancêtres médiévaux, construisant des églises au sommet de pics montagneux ? Essayaient-ils de se rapprocher le plus possible de Dieu, qui semblait rarement répondre à leurs prières ? Peut-être, car lorsque je suis arrivé aux ruines et que je me suis tenu devant les fresques décolorées du Christ et de ses disciples peintes sur la moitié restante du dôme de l'église, c'était comme si je me tenais au paradis.

Mon mari, Harry, et moi, rejoints par nos amis Nora et son mari Thomas, et ma sœur Arda et son mari, Roland, réalisions enfin notre souhait de longue date de visiter l'Arménie ensemble.

Mes racines sont profondément ancrées à Hayastan, comme nous appelons notre pays. À la fin du 19e siècle, mes grands-parents paternels ont fui la persécution ottomane dans ce qui est aujourd'hui l'est de la Turquie (mais étaient historiquement des territoires arméniens), ils se sont installés en Égypte. En 1915, mes grands-parents maternels ont échappé aux massacres turcs d'Arméniens et ont également recommencé leur vie en Egypte.

A 15 ans, j'ai passé un mois en colonie de vacances en Arménie avant de retourner au Caire, ma ville natale. Ce voyage m'a laissé une impression indélébile, et mes souvenirs des montagnes sauvages du district de Lori dans le nord de l'Arménie étaient si vifs que j'ai nommé ma première fille Lori. Je vis toujours en Egypte et je fais partie de la diaspora arménienne de 4 millions.

"Oh, cela a tellement changé - vous devez le voir", ont déclaré des amis qui ont visité l'Arménie après son indépendance de 1991 de l'Union soviétique. Les changements seraient fascinants, j'en étais sûr, mais je voulais aussi voir la patrie que j'avais connue brièvement dans ma jeunesse.

Maintenant, près de trois décennies après ma première visite, j'étais de retour à Lori. Ma mémoire ne m'avait pas trompé. Des montagnes se déployaient à perte de vue. Des chèvres broutaient à l'entrée d'une grotte sur une crête un peu plus loin du sommet d'où je me tenais, et la rivière Debed serpentait à travers la vallée vers la Géorgie, où elle se déverserait dans la mer Noire.

De là où je me tenais, la vue était sereine, démentant une histoire de catastrophes à la fois naturelles (un tremblement de terre de 1988 a tué 25 000 personnes) et d'origine humaine.

Nous avons atterri à Erevan, la capitale, via Vienne. C'était la meilleure connexion que nous ayons pu trouver depuis le Caire, mais cela nous a mis dans la ville à 5 heures du matin. J'étais à moitié endormi lorsque nous avons pris un taxi pour nous rendre en ville, mais ma première vue du mont Ararat a éveillé mes sens. La montagne est sacrée pour les Arméniens, qui croient que l'arche de Noé est venue s'y reposer. Aujourd'hui, il tombe à l'intérieur du territoire turc. Pourtant, Ararat est tellement lié à notre identité que, les jours suivants, je me retournais parfois pour la chercher comme pour renforcer le fait que j'étais enfin dans mon pays natal.

Thomas, qui visitait régulièrement le pays depuis le début des années 90, était notre « chef de mission » et avait planifié notre séjour de 12 jours avec son approche professionnelle habituelle. Lui et Nora, notre experte en gastronomie et divertissement, nous ont aidés à louer un appartement à Erevan, d'où nous avions une vue magnifique sur le mont Ararat.

La culture du café a changé Erevan, une ville qui s'est développée rapidement pour atteindre environ 1,2 million d'habitants. Là où il y avait autrefois des parcs et des promenades, il y a maintenant des bistrots où les clients s'assoient côte à côte pour socialiser.

Nous avons apprécié une douce soirée au restaurant Amrotz, qui offre une vue magnifique sur Ararat. Nous avons mangé khorovatz, ou de l'agneau ou du porc grillés, et dansé sur les rythmes rapides de la musique arménienne et bu de la vodka russe.

Un autre soir, nous avons goûté au Paplavok Jazz Café, qui propose également de la musique live. Pendant que nous vérifiions la foule bruyante, à notre grande surprise, nous avons vu nos cousins ​​des États-Unis assis à quelques tables de là.

La scène artistique d'Erevan déborde également dans les rues, où vous trouverez de nombreuses sculptures et œuvres d'art : l'imposante statue géante de Mayr Hayastan (Mère Arménie) veillant sur Erevan du haut d'une colline dans le parc de la Victoire, le chat de Botero au pied de la zone des Cascades et , en métal, la figure agitée de Garaballa le marchand de fleurs de la rue Apovian.

Les Arméniens font bon usage du métal et de la pierre. Bien que les bâtiments des années 70 - de l'ère soviétique - soient d'horribles boîtes d'allumettes, les bâtiments les plus anciens de la ville ont une austérité classique. L'architecture plus récente fait usage de l'indigène duf, une pierre teintée de rose qui, en jouant sur les façades vitrées, donne à la ville un aspect contemporain.

Pendant la journée, nous sortions d'Erevan pour explorer la campagne. Nous avons loué un minibus avec chauffeur et à la fin de notre séjour, nous avions exploré une grande partie des 11 490 miles carrés estimés de l'Arménie.

Bien qu'aucun de nous ne se décrive comme de fervents chrétiens, nous avons passé la plupart de notre temps dans des églises et des monastères, ce qui nous a permis de mieux comprendre notre patrie et ses 3 millions d'habitants.

L'Arménie est devenue la première nation chrétienne du monde en 301 après JC, dont les Arméniens sont extrêmement fiers. Pour accueillir leur foi ardente - et peut-être pour protéger les villes et les villages - ils ont construit des églises dans apparemment tous les coins de ce pays qui se trouve aujourd'hui à l'intersection de la Turquie, de la Géorgie, de l'Azerbaïdjan et de l'Iran.

En raison de sa position au carrefour de l'Europe et de l'Asie, l'Arménie a été encerclée, envahie et occupée par de nombreux voisins hostiles. Les Romains, les Byzantins, les Perses et d'autres puissances régionales ont tous traversé les terres arméniennes. Certains, comme les Arabes au VIIe siècle, sont restés, occupant le territoire pendant près de trois siècles.

Au début des années 1500, les Turcs ottomans ont pris le contrôle d'une grande partie de l'Arménie historique, dont la plupart se trouvent aujourd'hui à l'intérieur des frontières de la Turquie, et les Soviétiques ont contrôlé le pays pendant plus de 70 ans. Depuis 1991, l'Arménie et l'Azerbaïdjan se sont affrontés et des milliers de personnes ont été tuées des deux côtés.

Tout comme nos ancêtres étaient motivés pour construire des églises dans des endroits stratégiques, nous avions aussi nos raisons de les placer si en évidence sur notre itinéraire : nous toucherions une partie puissante du passé de l'Arménie tout en profitant de la beauté naturelle de la campagne, de ses villes et villages.

Sur les quelque 40 000 monuments religieux du pays, la plupart ont une caractéristique architecturale unique ou une histoire intéressante sur l'histoire de l'Arménie et ses liens entre la foi et la politique.

Dans le sud, par exemple, nous avons bravé les mauvaises routes (ou notre chauffeur l'a fait) et les chemins de montagne tortueux de la région de Syunik pour atteindre le monastère et la forteresse de Tatev du IXe siècle perchés sur une falaise au-dessus de la ville de Tatev, à environ 170 miles d'Erevan. .

De loin, nous pouvions voir le dôme typiquement conique de l'église portant la croix, et en dessous une cascade plongeant dans le canyon. Les murs intérieurs de son église principale, Pogos et Petros, ou Paul et Pierre, étaient décorés de fresques récemment partiellement restaurées. Khatchkars - des dalles de pierre rectangulaires sculptées de croix complexes - ornent les murs extérieurs de l'église et la cour composée. Au zénith du monastère, du Xe au XIIIe siècle, jusqu'à 1 000 moines y vivaient et étudiaient.

L'une des chambres du monastère a une immense ouverture voûtée qui surplombe le canyon. De manière polyvalente typique, Tatev a été utilisé comme forteresse pour repousser les armées d'invasion et comme centre religieux qui nourrissait la foi chrétienne et propageait et enrichissait la culture arménienne. Les moines ont créé des manuscrits miniatures, maintenant conservés au musée Madenataran d'Erevan, qui documentent leurs études en histoire, en langue, en sciences et en arts, dans le cadre de l'effort pour maintenir leur identité arménienne vivante.

Un autre jour, nous avons visité les complexes monastiques du 10ème siècle de Sanahin et Haghpad, construits autour de la ville d'Alaverdi, à environ 110 miles au nord d'Erevan. Chacun a de nombreux bâtiments, disposés de manière asymétrique, et leurs églises principales sont du type de dôme à ailes croisées répandu dans l'architecture religieuse arménienne.

Les deux sites possèdent des clochers à trois étages couronnés de beffrois à colonnes. Dans les étages de la bibliothèque de chacun se trouvaient des caches souterraines pour cacher des trésors ou des documents importants. Des symboles islamiques et zoroastriens (une ancienne religion persane) décorent les murs de Haghpad et de Sanahin, peut-être pour apaiser – ou confondre – les ennemis.

Le poète chéri Sayat Nova, dont les chansons romantiques du XVIIIe siècle font toujours partie du lexique musical arménien, a travaillé dans une cellule monastique à Haghpad, regardant du haut plateau vers des vues spectaculaires sur les montagnes et les vallées, clairement une inspiration.

La vue la plus inspirante que nous ayons trouvée était celle du monastère de Khor Virab, à 34 miles à l'ouest d'Erevan, sur la frontière turco-arménienne. C'est là que le saint patron des Arméniens, Grégoire l'Illuminateur, a été emprisonné il y a 1700 ans par le roi Trdat III (ou Tiridate) pour avoir prêché le christianisme. Il a été libéré 13 ans plus tard après avoir converti le roi, qui a proclamé le christianisme religion d'État de l'Arménie. La fosse claustrophobe dans laquelle Grégoire a été retenu captif est accessible par échelle.

C'était une journée cristalline et le mont Ararat s'étendait à l'horizon.

« Nous monterons là-haut un jour, n'est-ce pas ? Hovsep, notre chauffeur de minibus, a demandé alors que nous contemplions la montagne.

Peut-être, pensai-je. Mais même si nous ne le faisons pas, Ararat est avec nous en tant que symbole de la lutte arménienne. Nous atteignons ce sommet, au sens figuré, juste en ayant survécu 3 000 ans.

L'un des outils de notre survie était la musique et la chanson. Alors que nous étions en route pour le monastère de Keghart, à 30 miles à l'est d'Erevan, trois musiciens de rue ont fait du stop avec nous. Dès que les musiciens se sont installés sur la banquette arrière, ils ont commencé à jouer des chansons d'amour arméniennes et à chanter fort.

Nora éclata de rire. « J'avais entendu parler d'emporter une radio ou un lecteur CD, mais conduire avec un orchestre ? Cela ne peut arriver qu'en Arménie ! elle a dit.

Nous les avons déposés dans une aire de pique-nique où ils se produiraient pour les visiteurs en échange de quelques pièces de monnaie.

Le monastère de Keghart est un magnifique complexe de bâtiments fondé au IVe siècle par Grégoire l'Illuminateur et agrandi au XIIe siècle. Selon la légende, la lance qui a transpercé le Christ a été amenée ici, bien qu'elle ait disparu depuis longtemps.

Des portions des nombreuses églises interconnectées sont creusées dans la roche sur le flanc de la montagne. L'acoustique à l'intérieur d'une salle est telle qu'une seule personne qui fredonne, ce que Thomas nous a démontré, sonne comme un chœur.

Mais pour entendre un son vraiment céleste, écoutez les chants de la liturgie arménienne. Dans les temps anciens, l'utilisation d'images élaborées était interdite dans l'église. Certains disent que les chants de la liturgie arménienne, comme pour compenser, sont sophistiqués par rapport aux autres confessions orthodoxes. Dimanche, nous avons assisté à la messe à Etchmiadzin, siège de l'Église apostolique arménienne. Sa Sainteté Karekin II, Patriarche Suprême et Catholicos de Tous les Arméniens, était là, comme il l'est souvent.

Nous ne passions pas tout notre temps à l'intérieur ou parmi les ruines. Un jour, nous avons pique-niqué sur les pentes du mont Aragats, à environ 30 miles au nord-ouest d'Erevan. Des mers de lavande, de fleurs sauvages jaunes et blanches s'étendent à l'ombre des ruines de la forteresse d'Amberd du XIe siècle, qui plane majestueusement au bord de la vallée.

Nous avons également inclus un arrêt au lac Sevan, dont les eaux turquoises et les plages de sable fin vous font oublier, ne serait-ce que pour un temps, que l'Arménie est un pays enclavé.

Il y avait un dernier endroit que nous devions visiter avant de quitter l'Arménie : Tsitsernakaberd, le mémorial à Erevan construit en l'honneur des centaines de milliers - les Arméniens disent jusqu'à 1,5 million - tués par les Turcs à partir de 1915.

À travers les ouvertures entre les dalles de pierre qui s'élèvent autour de la flamme éternelle brûlant au centre du mémorial, je pouvais voir le sommet enneigé d'Ararat. Une vieille femme aidée de sa fille s'est approchée de la flamme, et je me suis demandé à qui elle pensait.

Mes pensées sont retournées aux montagnes, à une patrie miraculeuse qui a changé de frontières, de drapeaux, de capitales - elle a même disparu en tant qu'entité politique pendant 500 ans - mais n'a pas péri. Ça dure et ça me donne de la force. Je sais que je reviendrai.

De LAX, le service de correspondance (changement d'avion) ​​est proposé sur Aeroflot, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, British, United, American, KLM et Air New Zealand. Les tarifs aller-retour restreints commencent à 999 $ jusqu'au 13 octobre, puis à 800 $ jusqu'au 11 décembre.

Appeler les numéros ci-dessous depuis les États-Unis, composez le 011 (l'indicatif international), le 374 (l'indicatif du pays pour l'Arménie) et le numéro local.

Hôtel Marriott Arménie, Place de la République, Erevan 1-599-000, fax 1-599-001, https://www.marriott.com/EVNMC . Doubles à partir de 139 $.

Hôtel de congrès, 1, rue Italia, Erevan 1-580-095, fax 1-522-224 https://www.congresshotelyerevan.com . 126 chambres. Doubles à partir de 108 $.

Hôtel Ani Plaza, 19 Sayat-Nova Ave., Erevan 1-589-500, fax 1-565-343, https://www.anihotel.com. 194 chambres. Doubles à partir de 102 $.

Mer Tagh, 21/1 rue Tumanian, Erevan 1-580-106. Sa spécialité est lahmajun, une pâte fine garnie de viande hachée et cuite au four à 80 centimes chacune. Khachabouri, une pâte feuilletée géorgienne avec du fromage ou de la viande, coûte 1,50 $ chacun.

Aragast/Paplavok, 41 rue Isahakian, Erevan 1-545-500. Ces deux restaurants donnent sur un étang et servent des plats arméniens et occidentaux, mais allez-y pour la musique et non pour la nourriture. Le premier met en scène un violoniste et le second est réputé pour son jazz live. Entrées autour de 5$.

Guide: "Edge of Time: Voyager en Arménie et au Karabagh." Les auteurs Matthew Karanian et Robert Kurkjian offrent des informations utiles sur les déplacements en voiture en Arménie et au Karabagh.


Ville d'Etchmiadzine

Avec Erevan comme base, vous pouvez facilement visiter la ville sainte d'Etchmiadzine (ce qui signifie "l'endroit où le Fils unique de Dieu est descendu"), le centre spirituel et administratif de l'Église apostolique arménienne, un lieu de pèlerinage pour les Arméniens chrétiens de partout le monde, célèbre pour ses nombreuses églises, monastères et architecture intéressante sur des arrière-plans pittoresques.

Les Cathédrale d'Etchmiadzine est le point culminant de la ville, l'une des plus anciennes églises chrétiennes construites au 4ème siècle, avec un musée, qui conserve des peintures et des objets religieux de grande valeur. Il existe une légende intéressante à propos de cette église, selon laquelle Saint Grégoire, connu sous le nom de Saint Illuminateur car il éclaira le roi Trdat et le conduisit au christianisme en 301, eut une vision du Christ descendant des nuages ​​et frappant le sol à Etchmiadzine. avec un marteau d'or, désignant ainsi l'emplacement de la nouvelle église. C'est l'un des sites les plus visités d'Arménie qui attire les visiteurs à la fois par son extérieur et son intérieur.

Photo de tweettravelers.com

Sont également attrayantes les églises de Sainte Gayane (640-41cc. A.D.) et Saint-Hripsimé (618 après JC), à la fois chefs-d'œuvre de l'architecture arménienne et sites du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO qui ne manquent jamais d'étonner les touristes par leurs proportions harmonieuses et leurs intérieurs solennels. L'église Shoghakat est encore une autre merveille architecturale ajoutée beaucoup plus tard à la collection architecturale de la ville. Pendant votre séjour à Etchmiadzine, assurez-vous d'essayer une spécialité locale nommée kyufta, avec une saveur authentique que vous apprécierez vraiment.


Attractions touristiques en Arménie : que voir en Arménie

Les attractions touristiques de l'Arménie sont remarquables pour le voyageur intéressé par l'histoire. Les plus connus sont ses nombreux et anciens monastères et églises. Mais le pays a aussi des paysages intéressants et des beautés naturelles.

Parmi les attractions touristiques les plus importantes de l'Arménie figurent les sites que l'UNESCO a inclus dans l'élan du patrimoine mondial de l'humanité : les monastères de Haghpat et Sanahin (1996, 2000), la cathédrale et les églises d'Echmiatsin et le site archéologique de Zvartnots (2000), le monastère de Geghard et la haute vallée de l'Azat ​​(2000).

LES MONASTÈRES DE HAGHPAT ET SANAHIN

Les monastères de Haghpat et de Sanahin : Ce sont deux monastères byzantins situés dans la région de Tumanian, dans le nord de l'Arménie, ils furent d'importants centres de connaissances durant la dynastie Kiurikian (X-XIII siècle). Ces deux monastères représentent le plus haut niveau atteint par l'architecture religieuse arménienne, dont le style unique est un mélange d'éléments byzantins et d'architecture traditionnelle des régions du Caucase. Les deux monastères ont été fondés au 10ème siècle, à quelques kilomètres l'un de l'autre. Les bâtiments sont situés en position dominante sur la profonde vallée formée par la rivière Dzoraget. C'est un endroit naturel idyllique et merveilleux.

LA CATHÉDRALE ET LES ÉGLISES D'ECHMIATSINE

La cathédrale et les églises d'Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin) et le site archéologique de Zvartnots : La cathédrale et les églises d'Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin) et le site archéologique de Zvartnots, représentent l'évolution et le développement du type d'église typique du pays avec plan en croix et coupole centrale. La cathédrale Saint-Etchmiadzine qui a été construite au 5ème siècle est aujourd'hui le siège des catholiques arméniens. Le musée situé à l'intérieur de la cathédrale est également intéressant, qui présente des trésors d'art arménien, des reliques et des vestiges archéologiques.

LE SITE ARCHÉOLOGIQUE DE ZVARTNOTS

Zvartnots, est un complexe de structures très suggestif, construit au milieu du VIIe siècle près d'Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin). Au moment de sa construction, c'était la cathédrale la plus importante d'Arménie. Le complexe de ruines est formé par la cathédrale de San Giorgio (Zvartnots) et le palais de Nerses III.

AUTRES MONASTÈRES ET ÉGLISES

Monastère de Geghard et la haute vallée de l'Azat ​​: Le monastère de Geghard, situé à quelques kilomètres au nord de Garni, contient de nombreuses églises et tombeaux. La plupart sont taillées dans la roche et représentent le summum de l'architecture médiévale arménienne. Le complexe de bâtiments médiévaux est situé dans un paysage d'une grande beauté naturelle, entouré de falaises à l'entrée de la vallée de l'Azat. L'église creusée dans la roche la plus ancienne du monastère celle de St Grégoire remonte au VIIe siècle. Alors que la structure principale du complexe, l'église de la Vierge, avec un plan cruciforme, remonte au XIIIe siècle.

D'autres endroits intéressants à visiter dans le pays sont le monastère Haghartsin, situé près de la ville de Dilijan. Ce monastère est composé d'une série de constructions monastiques comprenant trois églises et plusieurs chapelles. L'église principale est celle de Saint-Astvatsatsin, construite en 1281, tandis que la plus ancienne est celle de Saint-Grigor qui date du XIe siècle.

Un autre bâtiment intéressant est le monastère de Tatev, fondé au 9ème siècle. Ce monastère est situé sur une falaise rocheuse stratégiquement située pour dominer un canyon en contrebas. Le bâtiment le plus important du monastère est l'église de Pogos et Petros (Pierre et Paul) construite entre le IXe et le Xe siècle. A l'intérieur, quelques fresques du Xe siècle sont encore visibles.


Architecture

Selon l'historien arménien Vardan Areveltsi du 13ème siècle, Gharghavank a été construit entre les années 661 à 685 par le prince Grigor Mamikonian. L'église est de type tétraconque à nef centrale et à huit absides semi-circulaires rayonnant à partir de l'espace octogonal intérieur. Les extérieurs des huit murs de l'abside alternent avec huit panneaux rectilignes contenant de larges niches triangulaires qui divisent chacune des absides. Les murs épais de l'abside et les pendentifs supportaient un tambour et une coupole au-dessus. La plupart du tambour et de la coupole se sont depuis effondrés. Des fragments de la décoration géométrique peuvent être vus autour des locaux.

Il y a deux portails qui mènent à la structure. Sur le linteau de l'un, est sculpté un dessin de khachkar cruciforme. Dans les coins des niches triangulaires à l'extérieur, se trouvent des décorations en colonnes. D'autres motifs peuvent être vus autour des selles au-dessus des fenêtres, des avant-toits et des corniches, et des éléments décoratifs se trouvaient autrefois autour des portails. Le relief du feuillage peut être vu autour des fenêtres, tandis que le relief géométrique est le long des avant-toits et des corniches. Il y a aussi des traces de relief peint à l'intérieur de l'église. Le relief décoratif trouvé sur l'église ressemble à celui de l'église de Zvartnots du 7ème siècle à Ejmiatsin.

Des travaux de restauration ont été effectués sur le côté nord de l'église en 1948. Des barres d'armature peuvent être vues le long de la zone où se trouvait autrefois le tambour.


Extérieur de l'église de Saint-Pogos et Petros au monastère de Tatev - Histoire

En août 2003, Abba Seraphim et le père Simon Smyth étaient les invités de l'archevêque Pargev Martirossyan, prélat du diocèse d'Artsakh (qui couvre le Haut-Karabagh et les territoires libérés adjacents de l'Artsakh historique) de l'Église apostolique arménienne. Ils étaient accompagnés tout au long par le Dr Manuk Hergnyan, directeur exécutif de la radio arménienne Vem.

Nous sommes partis pour l'Artsakh en compagnie du Dr Eduard Danielyan, chef du groupe de recherche étudiant l'histoire de l'Arménie ancienne et médiévale à l'Académie nationale des sciences de la République d'Arménie et chef de la chaire d'études régionales en linguistique d'État d'Erevan. Université, où il enseigne les études régionales de la Grande-Bretagne et de l'histoire arménienne. Eduard était une mine d'informations et chaque question que je posais sur l'histoire arménienne recevait une réponse très approfondie et avec une exactitude savante. Mon intérêt généalogique pour les anciennes dynasties princières des Bagratides et des Artsrunides l'a évidemment ravi et nous nous sommes laissés entraîner dans la discussion sur l'Arménien. diasporaainsi que nos propres origines familiales. Manuk savait que ses ancêtres avaient migré de Bayazit sur les pentes occidentales du mont Ararat (maintenant dans l'est de la Turquie) en 1828, au cours de l'une des nombreuses guerres russo-turques.

Peu de temps après avoir quitté Erevan, nous avons traversé la grande plaine plate d'Araratian, qui était dominée sur notre droite par le lointain sommet enneigé du mont Ararat-Masis (5 165 m), planant au-dessus de nuages ​​brumeux comme la Nouvelle Jérusalem descendant du ciel. Il n'était pas difficile de comprendre pourquoi Ararat-Masis a une telle emprise émotionnelle et symbolique sur les sentiments arméniens. J'ai réfléchi à la vulnérabilité stratégique de ce noyau de l'Arménie historique en imaginant le passage d'armées d'invasion : Romains, Byzantins, Mongols, Perses, Tatars, Seljukides, Ottomans et Turcs kémalistes, qui ont chacun détruit la frêle indépendance de la nation arménienne. Alors que nous voyagions vers le sud puis vers l'est dans la province méridionale de l'Arménie de Zangezur (Syunik), la route serpentait à travers les majestueux contreforts des montagnes de Zangezur. Le nom de Zangezur dérive traditionnellement du nom géographique Dzagedzor, le domaine d'un patriarche arménien Dzagik. Selon l'étymologie populaire, le nom signifie «la cloche qui ne peut pas être entendue», qui dérive d'une légende sur la cloche d'une ancienne église construite sur les gorges de la rivière Vorotan. L'énorme cloche pouvait être entendue sur une distance allant jusqu'à soixante kilomètres et servait à avertir quelque six cents villages de l'approche des ennemis, leur permettant de fuir dans les collines boisées et de se frayer un chemin vers la sécurité du monastère imprenable de Tatev. On raconte que les envahisseurs arabes du VIIIe siècle ont tenté en vain de détruire la cloche jusqu'à ce qu'ils allumèrent finalement un feu de joie féroce en dessous, faisant fondre le battant contre le côté.

Après la chute de la Russie impériale, cette région a résisté à l'épreuve du temps. Les revendications de la République d'Azerbaïdjan (soutenue par la Turquie) sur les régions arméniennes du Nakhijevan, du Zanguezour et du Karabagh se sont heurtées à une résistance farouche des Arméniens et sont devenues un centre de conflit. En juin 1918, lors de l'assaut des troupes turques contre la République d'Arménie, ils envahissent la région de Nakhijeven mais sont vaincus par le régiment arménien dirigé par le général Andranik Ozanyan (1865-1927). Fin juillet, les forces turques soutenues par les Musavatistes azerbaïdjanais ont capturé le Nakhijevan, mais après la défaite de la Première Guerre mondiale, la Turquie a dû se retirer des territoires occupés, dont le Nakhijevan (décembre 1918). Les Musavatistes occupèrent la région, mais en mai 1919, les forces militaires de la République d'Arménie libérèrent le Nakhijevan. En juillet 1920, le Nakhijevan est occupé par les régiments de la 11e Armée rouge et le pouvoir soviétique s'y installe. Selon le traité de Moscou (16 mars 1921) signé par la Russie soviétique et la Turquie kémaliste, le Nakhitchevan a été rattaché à l'Azerbaïdjan soviétique. Ainsi, la Turquie kémaliste a conquis à l'Arménie le district de Kars et la région de Surmalu (Surb Mariam - St. Maria) d'une part et a aidé l'Azerbaïdjan soviétique à annexer le Nakhijevan, qui en février 1924 a été restructuré en Nakhijevan (le nom a été mal orthographié Naxçivan ) République socialiste soviétique autonome correspondant à la RSS d'Azerbaïdjan. Grâce aux efforts du général Andranik puis du célèbre commandant arménien Geregin Nzhdeh (1886-1955), Zangazur est resté arménien et n'a pas subi le même sort que le Nakhijevan. Cependant, si Zangezour avait été cédée à l'Azerbaïdjan, le Karabagh aurait été si fermement encerclé par l'Azerbaïdjan qu'il n'aurait jamais obtenu son indépendance. Pendant les années du pouvoir soviétique, les dirigeants azerbaïdjanais ont réalisé la politique de déportation des Arméniens – la population aborigène du Nakhijevan. Elle s'est accompagnée de vandalisme – destruction de monuments historiques arméniens, notamment de l'époque chrétienne (églises et khachkars – croix de pierre).

Après avoir quitté la route principale et suivi une route secondaire descendant une gorge escarpée faite par un affluent de la rivière Arpa, nous sommes arrivés à Norovank («Nouveau monastère»), qui, comme la plupart des anciens sites monastiques, est situé de manière spectaculaire au sommet d'une falaise. Comme vous pouvez conduire jusqu'au monastère, il y avait une foule de touristes à Norovank, y compris une famille amicale d'Arméniens américains qui m'ont interviewé pour leur film familial, me demandant ostensiblement si je pensais que l'Arménie était un endroit sûr pour les touristes. .


Composé de trois églises, le complexe a été restauré dans son ancienne gloire en 1998 grâce à la générosité d'une famille arménienne canadienne. C'était la seigneurie de Vayots Dzor (« la gorge du malheur ») ou la région de Syunik, autrefois le territoire de la famille Orbelian. Sujets féodaux à l'origine des princes zakarides, Smbat Orbelian obtint inju statut par le Grand Khan Monge en 1252 et rendu directement dépendant des Mongols, favorisant leur politique de diviser pour régner. La noblesse féodale arménienne semble proche dans l'esprit des clans écossais et, en commun avec la tradition celtique, chaque clan avait son propre évêque, souvent un descendant de la famille du chef de clan. Stepanos Orbelian, décédé en 1304 et enterré ici, était à la fois métropolite de Syunik et historien distingué.

Fondée par l'évêque Hovhannes, abbé de Vahanavank, en 1205 à l'emplacement d'une ancienne église (IXe siècle), elle devint le centre de l'évêché de Syunik. St. Karapet est un bâtiment à nef unique avec une cour au sud, qui a été découvert par des fouilles en 1982. Sur le côté nord, à côté de St. Karapet est l'église de St. Stephen le Protomartyr construite par le prince Libarit Orbelian entre 1216- 1222 et consacrée en 1223. Il a un intérieur cruciforme avec des sacristies à deux étages dans chaque coin et un dôme, qui a été détruit par un tremblement de terre en 1840 et restauré seulement dans les années 1980. Sur le côté nord de Saint-Étienne se trouve l'église-mausolée de Saint-Grégoire. Conçu par l'architecte Siranes, il a été construit par le prince Tarsayich Orbelian en 1275 sur la tombe de son frère, le prince Smbat le Grand. En 1251 et 1256, il avait entrepris deux voyages périlleux à la cour du Grand Khan à Karakorum pour le persuader d'accorder une exonération fiscale à la région de Syunik. Une dalle de tombe incisée, représentant un lion étrangement anthropomorphe, couvre la tombe du fils du prince Tarsayich et frère de l'évêque Stepanos, Elikum, décédé en 1300. Un couvert gavit, qui est mieux décrit comme une version plus grandiose du narthex occidental, à l'ouest, datant de 1261, sert de mausolée aux princes orbéliens. Les murs extérieurs de la gavit ont une sculpture en relief particulièrement riche et l'ensemble du complexe est riche en khatchkars. Une représentation particulièrement frappante de Dieu le Père dans un typane au-dessus d'une fenêtre, le représente tenant la tête d'Adam dans son sein alors que le Saint-Esprit descend sur elle sous la forme d'une colombe, tandis que dans un autre typane au-dessus de la porte ci-dessous, la Vierge Marie et l'enfant Sauveur trônent au milieu d'un feuillage richement entrelacé.

Sur le côté est du complexe se trouve l'église de la Sainte Mère de Dieu (Astvatsatsin), construite en 1339 et parfois appelée «Bourtelashen» d'après son constructeur, le prince Bourtel Orbelin. Il a été conçu par le grand artiste médiéval, peintre, sculpteur et architecte, Momik. Il est haut de deux étages mais a une crypte profonde creusée dans le substrat rocheux, qui peut être atteint du niveau du sol par l'entrée principale. La chapelle du premier étage ne peut être entrée qu'en montant des marches extérieures raides de chaque côté de l'entrée principale. Le vertige du père Simon le maintenait au sol mais bien que sympathique, j'étais content d'avoir fait l'ascension car la gloire de la chapelle est la lumière qui se déverse à travers la rotonde à douze colonnes. Jusqu'en 1997, l'église n'avait qu'un toit en croupe simple, mais en 1997, le tambour et le toit conique ont été restaurés sur la base de sources fragmentaires.

En quittant Norovank, nous sommes allés à la recherche de Gladzor, un site moins impressionnant, mais d'une grande importance dans l'histoire culturelle arménienne. Le monastère de Gladzor a été fondé par Nerses Mshetzi en 1282 et a servi d'université avec au moins neuf professeurs et une quinzaine de conférenciers. Des ecclésiastiques exceptionnels, des scientifiques et l'historien Mgr Stepanos Orbelian y ont reçu leur éducation. It was known as the ‘glorious second Athens’, ‘the seat and school of our holy doctors’ by contemporaries and students came from all over Armenia and even from Cilicia. It was famed for its ancient manuscripts and became an outstanding school of miniature painting, many of which are preserved in Armenia’s great manuscript collection housed in Yerevan’s Matenadaran. To avoid the Mongol advance the university eventually transferred to Vostan Gavor after Nerses’ death in 1338, when the monastery rapidly declined and the site was subsequently sacked and left in ruins. Its prestigious reputation ultimately led to the foundation of the Gladzor Management University in Yerevan in 1991, the Gladzor Bank and Gladzor Brandy, a blend of the ubiquitous Armenian spirit.

The site today, known as Tanahati Vank (or Tanade) is along a serpentine road and halfway up a deserted hillside The small Church of St. Stepanos, built of slate coloured stone between 1273-79, boasts external carvings of the Proshian and Orbelian heraldic devices, the latter consisting of a lion and a bull. The university ruins are further down the hill and revealed a small fifth century basilica when excavated in 1970. Below this a large area has been concreted to serve as a car park when coach loads of pilgrims come for occasional services.

A single hawthorn tree, twisted into grotesque shapes by the winter winds, offered shade from the fierce sun and unbelievably, a small modern drinking fountain provided a constant stream of clear, fresh spring water. Here we stopped and refreshed ourselves with sweet apricots and delicious sandwiches of local bread filled with cheese and sprigs of fresh garlic.

Retracing our steps some seven kilometres, we came across the Museum of Gladzor University, established in the seventeenth century Church of St. Hakob in the little village of Vernashen. Outside the entrance seven handsome modern khatchkars have been erected, representing the trivium (grammar, rhetoric & logic) and quadrivium (arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music) of mediaeval education. There are also a number of handsome, ancient khatchkars. Inside the little museum offers displays on educational institutions in Armenia, maps illustrating the spread of Gladzor’s influence and reproductions of famous manuscripts created at Gladzor.

While navigating these serpentine roads Eduard recounted the history of Karekin Nzhdeh (1886-1955), a celebrated Armenian nationalist who distinguished himself leading a band of Armenians volunteers alongside the Bulgarians against the Turks in the First Balkan War of 1912 and then went on to lead the Armenian regulars against the Turks and Soviets during 1919-1921. Through his efforts Zangezour stayed Armenian and did not suffer the same fate as Naxçivan. From 1921-1944 Nzhdeh lived in exile in Bulgaria, but, like so many exiles, he was enticed back to his homeland, only to be imprisoned by Stalin until his death. He died in prison in Vladimir and the Soviet authorities rejected his brother’s request that his body should be returned to Armenia. However, in 1983 a group of Armenian intellectuals secretly removed his remains a symbolic portion was interred on the slopes of Mount Khustup while the rest were reburied in Spitakover churchyard, some seven kilometres north of Gladzor, at peace now in an independent Armenia.

We left the main road (A317) shortly before reaching Goris as the next stage of our pilgrimage was to take us to the monastery of Tatev, high up in the thickly wooded mountains. For some ninety minutes we drove on meandering roads which hugged the ridges like the contour lines on a map. As we climbed higher the views became awesome and the abyss, deep down below, daunting. The occasional burnt out chassis, glimpsed fleetingly as we zig-zagged ever onwards and upwards, became unnerving. Manuk drove skilfully, nonchalantly steering round recurring hairpin bends with a rhythmic regularity which revived my latent acrophobia. I sat petrified, pointlessly yet resolutely, gripping the handle above me with ivory knuckles in a sort of premature rigidité cadavérique. After attaining the first summit there was no time for respite before we plummeted down identical roads in a mirror image of the uphill drive, the whole journey being repeated like some fairground roller-coaster. Following the Gorge of the Vorotan river, we eventually arrived at Tatev monastery, and the effort was not a disappointment but, like all good pilgrimages had not been without some exertion.

The fortified monastery had also served as the seat of the bishops of Syunik. It was named after St. Eustathius, one of the LXX disciples, who accompanied the Apostle Thaddeus to Armenia and was martyred here. The original church dates from the fourth century and served a community of hermits. In 844 Bishop David of Syunik persuaded the local princes to grant land and villages as endowments for the monastery and between 895-906 Bishop Ter-Hovhannes built the main church dedicated to Saints Poghos and Petros (Peter and Paul). Bishop Stepanos Orbelian noted that it housed six hundred monks, philosophers “deep as the sea”, able musicians, painters, calligraphers. St. Gregory’s Church was added in 1046 and the surrounding walls. In 1138 an earthquake destroyed Sr. Gregory’s Church and the dome of SS. Petros and Poghos, which were reconstructed by Stepanos Orbelian in 1295. In the 1250s the monastery was restored by Smbat Orbelian. In eleventh century the Tondrakian heretics probably supported the peasantry of Syunik in an insurrection against the monastery. Sacked at the end of the first quarter of fifteenth century by Timurids. The monastery was seriously damaged by an earthquake in 1931.

We parked just outside a solid round tower which stood beside the main entrance. On our right were steps leading up to the little domed Holy Mother of God Church which was added in 1087. The walls were alive with tiny lizards, vigorously going about their business in the afternoon sun.

The large grassed enclosure had stone buildings around every side, through whose cool, dark and deserted chambers one could wander at will. On the east side the drop was sheer and elegant barrel-vaulted chambers framed vistas of breathtaking grandeur. Somewhere beneath, high above the steep wooded slopes, the stillness was broken by the sound of a waterfall crashing into the gorge below. For a more panoramic view we climbed up to the tiles above, where centuries of accumulated neglect had produced a lush and verdant roof-garden.

A huge crane stood beside the main church with its last load of concrete slabs still suspended above the ground, though the rails on which it had once moved back and forth were long since rusted and overgrown. Restoration had started in 1974 but probably ground to a halt in 1998. We later learned from the resident caretaker that the Catholicos had visited only the day before, probably with a potential philanthropist who would complete the reconstruction.

Built against the south wall of SS. Petros and Poghos is a large rectangular stone sarcophagus with a pitched roof. At each end there are two small turban-topped finials, reminiscent of those found on the end of the tombs of Ottoman sultans, whilst in the centre rises a miniature tower surmounted with a cross. The whole is covered in elaborately carvings and khatchkars commemorating priests and bishops. It became clear only later that this structure, which could only be entered from the main church, housed the tomb of S. Grigor of Tatev.

A monument, called ‘Gavazan’ or ‘Rocking Pillar’, which had been erected in 904 in the open, was an unusual combination of Armenian architecture and engineering. It comprised an octahedral pillar, built of small stones, eight metres high and crowned with an ornamented cornice, the whole surmounted by an open-work khatchkar. Its purpose was to warn of seismic tremors, and it is said that even at the mere touch of a hand, the pillar, hinge-coupled to a stylobate, would tilt and then returns to its initial position. Now bound with metal ribs to preserve it from perishing, it can no longer function and may one day fall victim to the very event against which it was intended to warn.

Inside the huge Petros-Poghos Church there were remains still visible of ancient frescoes and the simple marble slab, marking the tomb of St. Grigor where we prayed and lit candles. There were already a few burning when we entered and the approach of a family car just as we were leaving strongly suggested that there is a steady trickle of pilgrims throughout the day. The fairly recent marble floor, which had been laid during an earlier restoration, had no place in the planned future and was now foredoomed, as being neither authentic nor in keeping with the more sensitive renovations currently being undertaken.

Our way to Karabagh meant that we first had to retrace the ninety minute drive to the main road, by which time I had become a more intrepid mountaineer if not blasé about heights. Just outside Goris we stopped for a rest and a meal. In the bend of the trunk road was a dilapidated hut used both as a home and as a wayside restaurant. Behind it, only feet from the passing traffic, was a simple haven of tranquillity: a natural spring, plump chickens mercilessly attacking the grass and a home-made bower, where we consumed freshly barbecued meat and strong coffee. Goris is the first place since leaving the Araratian plain where one can get a mobile phone signal and also the last before entering Karabagh.

Soon after leaving Goris the road noticeably changed and we were now on a sleek modern carriageway gently descending in large circuits as we crossed from Armenia to what had been Azerbaijan only a decade before. This had been paid for by the Armenian diaspora at the cost of $125 million. Yet the border marking our entry into the Republic of Nagorno-Karabagh was little more than a small police checkpoint and we were waved on without any formalities.

The Republic of Mountainous Karabagh’s independence is unrecognised by the international community, its status being akin to the Republic of North Cyprus. In reality, although it retains the semblance of government and statehood, its defence and economy is tied to Armenia, from whom it receives financial and political support.

Under Imperial Russia administrative areas largely followed the ethnic distribution of the population, so that Karabagh formed part of the Elizavetpol Governorate. Following the Russian Revolution and the short-lived Transcaucasian Republic, the newly declared Turkish satellite Republic of Azerbaijan laid claim to Karabagh and Yengezour. At that time Karabagh had a population of 72% Armenians. In the aftermath of the 1915 Genocide, the Armenians of Karabagh naturally preferred to declare their independence, which they did in July 1918. The Azeri response, in September 1918, was for Turkish troops to enter Baku and massacre some 30,000 Armenians as well as destroying hundreds of villages in the governorates of Baku and Elizavetpol (now known variously as Ganja, Gandža, Ganzak and Gəncə). A month later Turkey admitted defeat in the Great War and surrendered to the Allied powers. Britain now became the significant power and offered support to Azerbaijan, which it saw as crucial to its anti-Soviet policy. It firmly supported the Azeri claim to Karabagh and its threats to impose hegemony by force if arms. Unable to resist this, the Congress of the Armenians of Karabagh accepted “to be provisionally within the borders of the Azerbaijani Republic till the final solution of the problem at Peace Conference in Paris.” However, to forestall Azeri occupation, the Armenian population of Karabagh rose in revolt and between March-April 1920 fierce fighting followed and some 20,000 Armenians were slaughtered in Shushi. In 1920 the total population was 60,000 of which 47,000 (over 78%) were Armenians.

Although Karabagh was liberated by Armenia in April 1920, this coincided with the incorporation of Azerbaijan into the Soviet Union, which merely perpetuated the old Azeri territorial claims. To forestall the threat of invasion by combined Russian and Azeri forces, the Armenians of Karabagh declared themselves as Soviet, although a brief uprising declaring an independent Artsakh was fiercely suppressed by the Soviets between January-April 1921. At first it appeared that Russia favoured Karabagh’s incorporation into Armenia but, by July 1921, Stalin had arbitrarily resolved that whilst it should have wide regional autonomy as an oblast it should be incorporated within the Republic of Azerbaijan. Throughout the 1960s there was sustained pressure from Karabagh to be transferred to Armenia but only in 1988 was the pressure for independent resumed through massive protests and public demonstrations. From 1991-1994 a fierce war was fought, leaving an estimated 30,000 dead. Combat ended with a cease-fire but no peace treaty has yet been signed and the two countries are still officially at war.

Since the time of the cease-fire in 1994, one fifth of Azerbaijan is still ‘occupied’ by Karabagh or, as Eduard and Manuk corrected me, ‘liberated’ territories. One of these is the Lachin corridor, down which we had just driven, previously a pass in the Karabagh Mountain range, where the Azeri territory formed a narrow bottleneck between Armenia and Karabagh. It is now no longer an “umbilical cord” linking the two territories but a new province of Kashatagh, stretching to the Araks river (on the borders of Iran) in the south to the Murovdag mountains in the north, comprising some 2,000 square metres, all of which has been resettled by Armenians, who now number 12,000.

At Lachin (renamed Berdzor), a town sprawling over the hillside as the road climbed up the valley, we saw the shells of a few homes destroyed in the war, but the population (which now number 5,000) looked tranquil and relaxed strolling about in the early evening. A new church, built in traditional style, sits on the edge of the valley and offered a peaceful view across this hotly disputed track of land.

From here we drove a further thirty kilometres to Shushi, by which time it was already dark. The episcopal residence is across the road to the west of the Cathedral and we were warmly received by Archbishop Pargev Martirossian of Artsakh. He was born in Sumgait, just north of Baku, which is the third largest city in Azerbaijan, and studied at Etchmiadzin and Leningrad before his consecration to the episcopate in November 1988 and appointment to the diocese of Karabagh in 1989. The Communists had suppressed the diocese of Karabagh in 1930 and arrested Bishop Vrtanes, who was exiled and imprisoned. Thereafter Karabagh had no bishop, although there was a centre based in Baku, until 25 December 1989 when Azeri extremists burned down its Armenian Church. Bishop Parkev, accompanied by three priests, established himself in Stepanakert which, being a Soviet city, had no churches at all. He was unable to move to Shushi into its liberation in 1994. Inevitably he played a hugely significant rôle in the conflict, which earned him the respect and affection of the people of Karabagh. In 1989 there were no Armenian churches functioning in Karabagh, whereas today there are twenty-two. Although aged only forty-nine, the strain of the past momentous decade and a half are reflected in his grey beard, the deep lines of his face and the fact that in 2001 he underwent a triple heart bypass. His manner is gracious and modest, yet his speech is vigorous whilst his eyes twinkle with intelligence and good humour. He speaks good English, which markedly improved with practice, and jokes that he learnt his first words from listening to the Beatles’ lyrics in his youth. Among his latest enterprises is Vanakan Mineral Water, whose label declared discretely, in both English and Armenian, that it came with the blessing of Bishop Parkev. It tasted good, although much of the effervescence seemed to escape on opening.

That night we were accommodated in the comfortable Shushi Hotel, a twelve-roomed enterprise recently built by eight Armenians and one Lebanese at the cost of $160,000.

In the morning, when I wandered out on my balcony overlooking Shushi’s Cathedral, glistening white in the early morning sunshine, and the incipient garden which covered what looked like the foundations of bombed buildings, it was a tranquil scene. Below me some men were engaged in not very pressing repairs on an ancient car whilst an elderly man was weeding the front garden of the hotel. In the distance, through the cool morning haze, the green hills of Karabagh towered over the horizon. Over breakfast with Bishop Pargev we talked about the state of the church in Karabagh. The impressive Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral, although built between 1868-1887 suffered heavily at the hands of the Azeris. In the 1940s it was used as a granary and by the 1950s much of the exterior dressed stone had been removed to use elsewhere, the impressive pointed top to the cathedral dome had been decapitated and high apartment blocks erected all around to begun to conceal the cathedral from sight. In the 1970s explosives were placed in the foundations of the massive pillars but failed to bring down the vault. The structure was neglected and ruinous and during Karabagh’s war of liberation it was used as a depot for thousands of Grad missiles, knowing well that the Armenians would never attack the cathedral. These were used to rain down some fifteen thousand rockets and missiles in the bombardment of Stepanakert, vulnerable in the valley below. Other churches and cemeteries in Shushi and around were systematically vandalised or destroyed.

Eduard stayed behind to discuss his research with Bishop Parkev, and we set off again in our faithful Lada. As we left Shushi the marks of war were clearly visible. Shushi was in fact the last Azeri stronghold to fall on 9 May 1994 and its capture marked the cease-fire. A few doors from the bishop’s house there are the ruined shells of houses, whilst half-occupied blocks of flats show the marks of war. After 1920 the Azeri population of Shushi steadily outnumbered the Armenians, who comprised only two thousand out of seventeen thousand before Karabagh’s liberation. After 1994 the population was exclusively Armenians and numbered five and a half thousand but now, because of lack of employment, there are little more than 3,000 people.

Stepanakert, the republic’s capital, is a pleasant, clean, well-ordered city with broad tree-lined streets. Fighting here was fierce but all obvious signs of destruction have been removed and the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. We had driven down from Shushi on good roads but as we neared the northern outskirts of the capital the road suddenly became a building site. Hardcore had been laid and lorries and machinery were everywhere engaged in work on the next stretch but the road ended abruptly. It was actually being constructed as we watched ! However, unlike British sites, cars were permitted to drive on the unmade road. Our progress now slowed down rapidly as we manoeuvred across the rutted surface whilst simultaneously trying to keep our distance from large trucks going about their lawful business. As we drove on, the activity became less, then ceased completely and the road reverted to a wide dirt track running north alongside a deserted railway line, which had once served both Azerbaijan and Karabagh. At Aghdam, occupied by Armenia since July 1993, two roads headed towards Azerbaijan but we stayed close inside the present border on the road to heading to Martakert.

This borderland showed the extent of the destruction wreaked by war. Ruined portions of walls stood starkly where once entire villages had been, the whole revealing a desolate and sombre landscape. In places even the encroaching vegetation had been burned and the earth was parched and blackened. To the sides faded signs warned us that we should not stray from the road as the areas were still mined, though one notice declared that it had been cleared by the Halo Trust, though this unimpeachable charity has been stigmatised as an enemy of the state by Azebaijan for “supporting” Karabagh.

The region of Martakert was the scene of a successful Azeri offensive in the summer of 1992, which resulted in the occupation of over 80% of its territory, triggering the flight of the Armenian population. However, a successful Armenian counter-offensive in February 1993 reversed the situation, culminating in the liberation in June the same year of the town of Martakert. It was not until after the cease-fire that refugees began to return to their homes but six out of the district’s sixty towns and villages remain under Azeri control. We stopped at one of the many ramshackle wooden shops which lined the road here. The enterprising locals made no attempt at specialisation, one shop offering tin foods and female fashions, whilst another appeared to be purveying outsize water melons and spare car parts. We bought some bottled water and ice lollies. Whilst we sheltered in the meagre shade of a couple of small trees and hastily consumed these rapidly melting refreshments, an overweight army officer pulled into the shop with his car radio pumping out what Manuk disparagingly referred to as Turkish belly-dance music, something which no self-respecting Armenian should tolerate.

From here we followed a steadily deteriorating track to the west, leaving the war-torn desolation and driving through beautiful rural scenery with the Mrav mountains in the distance to the north. Descending from the hills we reached the Sarsang Reservoir before travelling alongside the steady flowing Tatar river, which fed it. At that point a wide flood plain showed a complete absence of human habitation. The car bumped its way bravely until it came to a sudden halt where the track disappeared into an impassable slough some thirty feet across. It hardly seemed possible that we had gone so far only to reach a dead end. One could easily navigate the obstruction on foot but as the terrain sloped down to the river on our right, and an embankment of rock loomed up on the left, it seemed unavoidable. As we were pondering the problem a pair of local rustics appeared from nowhere. Relieved, Manuk hailed them and asked their advice, though their reply didn’t seem to impress him. It appeared that their accents were so thick that their response was barely intelligible whilst Manuk’s metropolitan Armenian was probably just as unfamiliar to them! However, the gist of their advice was to drive straight through it. None of us was convinced that this was sound counsel, especially as stones cast into the murky water seemed to sink a long way down. Just at that moment I spotted a distant lorry lumbering along in our direction. As it would be faced with the same problem we would see how they would resolve matters. When it got nearer, however, it temporarily vanished from view among the trees only to reappear on what must have been a parallel road on a higher level. Manuk enquired again of our rustics about this road, but they shook their heads sagely, warning that the higher road was worse than ours and that we would still be better to drive on. Unconvinced, we returned to the car, reversed with some difficulty and then retraced our way to where the higher path joined our road, all the while being watched suspiciously by our yokels, who appeared to view us as mildly unhinged. As we continued our journey on this road Manuk uncharitably suggested that too much inbreeding had doubtless affected their intellects, whilst I surmised that they might be a species of local wrecker, whose livelihood probably depended on the misfortunes of unwary and too trusting travellers.

The next stop on our pilgrimage was Dadivank, sometimes called Khutavank (‘monastery upon-the-hill), situated on the edge of a steep gorge amidst heavily wooded hills, on the left bank of the Tartar (Trtu) river. Before liberation it stood on the very edge of Mountainous Karabagh, overlooking Azeri territory. Traditionally founded at the end of the first century by the martyr, St. Dadi, another disciple of St. Thaddeus Dadivank was first mentioned in mediaeval chronicles in the 9th century. The monastic complex of Dadivank consists of the Memorial Cathedral (Katoghiké), Church of the Holy Virgin, Chapel, Memorial Bell-Tower and several auxiliary buildings.

The Katoghiké was erected in 1214 by the Queen Arzou of Haterk and Upper Khachen.. The interior walls are richly decorated with frescoes. Part of a large inscription in Armenian, which covers the entire entrance wall of the Cathedral proclaims: “I, Arzou-Khatoun, obedient servant of Christ … wife of King Vakhtang, ruler of Haterk and all Upper Khachen, with great hopes built this holy cathedral on the place where my husband and sons rest in peace … My first-born Hassan martyred for his Christian faith in the war against the Turks, and, three years later, my younger son Grigoris also joined Christ … Completed in the year 663 of the Armenian calendar.” The external southern wall depicts princes Hassan and Grigoris holding up the church in carved relief, whilst St. Dadi and King Vakhtang appear in the same posture on the eastern wall. These princely families, with Arabic or Persian names (such as Hassan, Abas or Abulgharib), vividly illustrate the problem of living for generations under Persian influence.

Dadivank Monastery was reconsecrated in 1994 and since 1997 architectural restoration has made good progress. A group of architects were working in the Katoghiké plotting in detail the khatchkars set into the wall as well as all other ancient epigraphy, but generations of neglect has taken its toll and a much will still be needed to restore this historic monastery to its former glory. We encountered a group of Armenian tourists, one of whom – a rather assertive young lady with passable English – launched into an unsolicited guided tour and explanation of Armenian Church history. When I thanked her, she asked if we were Protestants. I explained that we were British and Orthodox but she was unconvinced, declaring authoritatively that all British were Protestants ! Later we sat at an old trestle table and drank some of the clear spring water which flowed freely from a nearby standpipe. Manuk chatted to the old caretaker and his wife about the problems of living on the border during the war. They admitted that the Azeris had looked after the site quite well and that their biggest problem had come from secular Armenians who didn’t treat the site with the respect it deserved. When the old man learned that we were heading for Gandzasar he asked to come with us as his wages were months in arrears and he needed to collect them !

The road to Gandzasar was probably the worst we encountered in our whole journey. My respect for the much denigrated ‘Lada’ had grown enormously as, in spite of Manuk’s careful manoeuvring around enormous pot holes with jagged edges, we heard horrible grindings from our exhaust pipe. Yet everything remained intact and reliable throughout. We lurched about until I resembled the toy dog with a bobbing head, once so ubiquitously displayed in the rear car windows of proletarian motorists. It was the sort of test drive car manufacturers show you in advertisements to prove the road-worthiness of their vehicles.

Another feature we encountered with increasing frequency were the khaki shells of burnt-out tanks at the side of major roads. At one junction we counted nine piled together, a potent reminder of the fierceness of the fighting in this area and of the human sacrifice to liberate it.

As the light began to fail we came to the village of Vank, above which towered the monastery of Gandzasar. A narrow road encircled the mountain and we drove upwards in a protracted irregular spiral until we reached the crest. Surrounded by low walls and outbuildings, the mighty stone church dominated the flat summit. We were greeted by Father Hovhannes, whom we had met briefly at Shoushi last night, whose vitality energised his great frame as he began our tour of the site. The late afternoon sun not only revealed the mellow golden pigmentation of the stone, but also accentuated the numerous and lavish architectural features in sharp contrasts of darkness and light.

A monastery stood here in the 10 th century, which also served as a mausoleum for the rulers of Khachen. The church of St. John the Baptist was built by Prince Asan-Jalal of Khokhanaberd, founder of Artsakh’s Jalalian dynasty who emerged as the most powerful Armenian feudal ruler in Eastern Armenia. Constructed between 1216-1238, it was consecrated in 1240, to house the head of the John the Baptist (St. Hovannes Mkrtich). The 13th century Armenian author, Kirakos Gandzaketsi, himself a native of Artsakh, attributes the gavit to Mamkan, Hasan’s wife (the inscription on the masonry runs: ‘Mamkan, Hasan and their son Atabeg’). The church’s architecture is based on a cross-cupola composition developed in the 10th century.

The name ‘Gandzasar’ is translated from Armenian as “treasure-mountain” (gandz=treasuresar=mountain) and there can be little doubt that the monastery is a treasure both architecturally and historically. It has also been hailed as “the encyclopædia of Armenian architecture” by the Russian scholar, A.L. Yakobson, whilst according to Professor Charles Diehl of Sorbonne, the prominent French art historian and Byzantine specialist Gandzasar is the third most important artifact of Armenian monastic architecture on the list of world architectural masterpieces.

The central Cathedral is masterly embellished with bas-reliefs depicting the Crucifixion, Adam and Eve and dozens of other stone figures, including the sculptures of the princes of Khachen holding two models of the Cathedral above their heads. According to an inscription on the wall of the Cathedral, it was completed in the year 1238. Overall, up to 150 Armenian stone-borne texts are found on the walls of the Cathedral, including a wall-large inscription made by the order of Hasan-Jalal himself.

In the thirteenth century Gandzasar became the seat of the little known Armenian Catholicosate of Aghvank or Caucasian Albania, (an independent kingdom northeast of Armenia and east of Iberia between the River Kur, the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus range) which had been established by St. Gregory the Illuminator. The Catholicosate of Aghvank or Gandzasar was a branch of the Armenian Apostolic Church and had a succession of catholicoi which survived until Artsakh was freed from Persian rule and taken under the control of Russia in 1813. The Jalalyan malikate, which had survived alongside the catholicosate, was now abolished. Two years later the Catholicos Sarkis II was reduced to the status of a Metropolitan by the Imperial Russian government. The tombs of the Jalalyan princes and the Aghvank catholicoi lie together in the glorious gavit, both awaiting the Day of Resurrection.

During the war for the liberation of Nagorno-Karabagh, especially 1991-1992, Gandzasar became a symbol of Armenian resistance and Archbishop Pargev was called ‘Ghevond erets (priest)’ who was the spiritual leader of the rebellion of the Armenian people headed by the national hero St. Vardan Mamikonyan in 451. Along with Archbishop Pargev was also Ter-Grigor Markosyan who was acting priest in fighting regiments (in Shahumyan region and near Shushi). Before battles they were baptising those fighters who had not been baptised. If it was needed, the priests were defending their native land by joining fighting regiments.

Aerial attacks, aimed specifically at destroying the monastery, came close to being successful, but – providentially – failed. Today the bullet and shell marks are potent testimony to Azeri aggression. Father Hovhannes himself had served in the war of liberation and was able to recount these events as a participant.

Against the low stone parapet, which encircles the monastery, dozens of finely carved stone khatchkars stand propped, memorials to the long history of this holy site. The enclosed space to the north of the church has a well manicured lawn and a few small hawthorn trees with branches shaped by the strong winter winds. On a vacant space behind the old monastic cells a new seminary was partially built and gave promise of the renewed vitality of the church in Artsakh. The cell and reception room of the Catholicos of Aghvank are still preserved to remind us of its former glory. As the darkness fell we dined together in a small vaulted refectory, everything was fresh and delicious: the honeycomb and buffalo yoghurt were especially toothsome! Father Hovhannes served us but didn’t eat as he had begun his eucharistic fast at sunset, which made it much longer than the nine hours we observe.

We were each allocated one of the ancient monastic cells in the block running along one side of the ‘Cathedral close.’ These were single rooms, each with a tiny window high in the wall to enable one to view the cross on the roof of the church whilst in bed. To reach the bathroom one had to cross the silent ‘close’ with the moon and stars as sole illumination. Later, when we were back in Istanbul, I made passing mention of this to Patriarch Mesrob. He recalled that when he had recently officiated at a vigil service at Gandzasar he had thought to have a short nap in one of these cells shortly before dawn. Unable to sleep, he had wandered out into the ‘close’ but was surprised to see someone’s silhouette beside the church. Thinking this was another pilgrim he strolled towards him only to discover, as he turned, that he was face to face with a wild bear. Petrified with astonishment, the Patriarch stared at his grizzly companion, while the bear possibly contemplated its breakfast. Providentially it too was fasting and, after some minutes of silent contemplation, with only a casual shrug of the shoulders, it turned and ambled off into the dark.

The next morning, having been spared any close encounters of the ursine kind, Father Simon and I recited the 3 rd and 6 th hours from the Agbeya in the church before taking our leave of Father Hovhannes and setting off on our return journey to Soushi.

We arrived in time for the Divine Liturgy, which the Archbishop had kindly rescheduled for 10 a.m. to facilitate our journeying back to the Republic of Armenia. The Cathedral is light and cool and the clergy processed unpretentiously across the road from the archbishopric, winding our way through the archway in the impressive campanile. The congregation numbered about sixty but included many young people, which was encouraging. In addition there was an able choir of about a dozen women and girls, all correctly robed and veiled, as well as some ten vested servers who assisted the priest and deacon with military precision. It was a profoundly moving Liturgy and as the bright morning sunshine poured through the sanctuary windows one realised the deep faith which had inspired those who had fought to keep this place Christian when it came so close to being lost for ever.

After the Liturgy Archbishop Pargev took us down to a large, cavernous room beneath the sanctuary, where those who intend to communicate first gather to receive a general absolution from the priest. The acoustics here are so fine that when standing at a specific central spot and looking upwards, the priest can be heard distinctly by all without having to raise his voice in the slightest.

Our short pilgrimage to Artsakh had provided an insight into the core of Armenian Church life which is profoundly necessary to one’s understanding of this ancient and proud Christian people. We would not forget it.

ABBA SERAPHIM

The Glastonbury Review, No. 109 (December 2003).

[1] Naxçivan was an oblast, or autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, but in 1990 was the first republic to declare its independence and secede from the USSR. However, its geographical isolation led it to join Azerbaijan only weeks later with the status of an autonomous republic. There is a 10 kilometre stretch of border with Turkey along the Arax (Erashk) river at Sadarak, which was opened by the construction of the Umad Kürpüsü (Bridge of Hope) and provides a vital link with Turkey.


Contenu

The origin and meaning of the island's name is unknown, but is often attributed to an old Armenian legend. According to the tale, an Armenian princess named Tamar lived on the island and was in love with a commoner. This boy would swim from the mainland to the island each night, guided by a light she lit for him. Her father learned of the boy's visits. One night, as she waited for her lover to arrive, he smashed her light, leaving the boy in the middle of the lake without a guide to indicate which direction to swim. They say his dying cries of "Akh, Tamar" (Oh, Tamar) can be heard to this day at night. The legend was the inspiration for a famous Armenian poem by Hovhannes Tumanyan.

Akdamar (meaning "white vein" in Turkish) is the official name of the island, but the original "Akhtamar" pronunciation is still used by many of the Kurds who live in the area (there is no "kh" sound in Turkish, but there is in Kurdish).


Travel in Argentina: Visit Plaza Armenia, Buenos Aires

If you visit Buenos Aires when you travel in Argentina, you’ll quickly realise that this is a city made up of many pleasant plazas. These pleasant squares are speckled around the city, and are perfect places to relax, read the paper, drink a coffee and watch the world go by.

If you head to Palermo, the coolest neighbourhood by far, you’ll realise that this area is quite different from much of the city. Things seem more peaceful, the crowds are trendier, the streets are somehow cleaner. There are a number of plazas in Palermo, and the one that is always recommended first when you travel in Argentina is Plaza Cortaza.

However, pleasant as Plaza Cortaza may be, you shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit Plaza Armenia as well.

Situated where the two streets Armenia and Costa Rica join together, this small and attractive square is the perfect place to visit during the week when you travel in Argentina, when all you’ll find are a few locals enjoying the peace and quiet.

If you’re a fan of people watching then this is the ideal place to stop by and engage in this favourite past time, as you can sit back and watch Argentinian daily life play out in front of you.

If you don’t fancy sitting in the plaza itself, head to one of the bars or cafes around the edges. Many of these have roof terraces from which you can sit with a beer and watch the world go by below.

Head to Plaza Armenia on the weekend, however, and things are quite different. This is a hotspot for residents of Palermo, and if the sun is shining you can bet that the square will crowd out as everyone has the same idea.

A busy market selling homemade arts and crafts springs up out of nowhere, the atmosphere becomes more intense, and you’ll be lucky to find a seat in any of the cafes, let alone on one of the terraces.

In the near vicinity, you can also take a stroll down Armenia to enjoy some of the Armenian culture of Buenos Aires. There are a number of Armenian restaurants, so if you’ve had enough steak during your time in Buenos Aires then this could be a good antidote.

Definitely take the time to visit Plaza Armenia the next time you travel in Argentina. It’s nothing sensational, but for a good place to enjoy watching the locals in a pleasant, authentic setting then it can’t be beaten.


Floorplan

1. a 10th century church
2. the main temple of St. Astvatsatsin, 1204
3. a rotund church of 1198
4. a chapel of the 12th-13th centuries
5. a gavit, before 1207
6. a communion bread bakery of the 13th century
7. service premises of the 11th-13th centuries
8. the main entrance of the 11th-12 centuries
9. remnants of a fence
10. a spring well of the 12th-13th centuries


Voir la vidéo: Monastère de Chevetogne (Août 2022).